Isaiah 55:12

For you will go out in joy, and come back with peace; the mountains and the hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees in the fields will clap their hands. Isaiah 55:12

Wednesday 29 October 2014

Life at Nazareth Village

This week our days at Nazareth Village began at eight thirty, and generally end at five oclock.  Buses full of people show up, from all parts of the world it seems, to hear the story. And I have taken on many different roles as a member of the village. I mentioned earlier I have been the watchman, the mason, and the carpenter. I have added the roles of olive harvester, shepherd, and donkey driver! I have also been trained to act as a guide. When a guide, I wear 20th century clothes and take a group of people, who understand English, to various areas to explain what life was like in the first century. We call it the parble walk. I humorously get to introduce Margaret as'Ruth' who may be in the kitchen, or the weaver's house, or gathering olives, or carrying water. I don't try to break the news that I am married to that first century woman!   Doing that would break the illusion of a step back in time!

I guided some Canadians from the Kitchener area. Talk about a small world.  They are volunteers in Tiberias, helping people emigrate to Israel.  We didn't exchange contact info, but I hope to meet them again, in Canada to reminise about our experiences.  I have enjoyed the South Africans, the Danes, and some from the UK. There are a lot of interesting people to meet. 

Evidently one afternoon, a beauty queen from United States showed up for a tour!  Her entourage was with her, and they took some photos with first century staff.  Margaret and I were not there that day.  We found it humorous how the male staff, especially, were glad to tell us all about it, and how beautiful she was!!

Margaret and I were extras for a video shoot of a First Century Wedding.  It happened one evening about 7 pm.  Two young American volunteers posed as Mary & Joseph, and videos where taken of us along with about a dozen others, in procession, talking and laughing, and also eating first century food.  We didn't have to learn or say lines.  I guess the audio gets dubbed in afterwards! What a lot of laughs and fun it was!

There is never a dull day at Nazareth Village!   


No comments:

Post a Comment