Isaiah 55:12

For you will go out in joy, and come back with peace; the mountains and the hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees in the fields will clap their hands. Isaiah 55:12

Tuesday 14 October 2014

Progess!

I feel like I have been having favour in the Mental Health Department, here at the English Hospital. I am generally there on Wednesday and Thursday mornings, and the program director allows me to tell a story to the dozen or
At Megiddo

so mainly Muslim residents. This past week, I told another parable, and intimated that I may just tell a good story, and not a Bible story in the future. I was amazed that someone responded 'Please tell another Bible story as it makes me want to read the Bible'. I was amazed because this came from a gentleman who writes stories! Also, I mentioned Canadian Thanksgiving, and they were all interested, and the program director suggested I tell them about this holiday. Before I could think twice, I had volunteered to make pumpkin pie! I have never done this before, so I have been into google to get an easy recipe! The good news is that it will be a new dish to them, so they have nothing to compare it to! In addition, as I was leaving, another resident exclaimed, I hope you stay a long time, as you have brought hope to this ward.  



The Hospital has a motto 'Healing in Jesus Name for over 150 Years'. The Scottish Medical Missionary Society had maintained a great reputation, and are overtly Christian, yet very sensitive to the fact that in Nazareth they are a minority, ministering to a predominately Arab culture. Everyone gets along, and are quite open about their faith allegiance. Even the gentleman collecting the garbage, on first meeting, greets me with, 'I am a Christian'. 

Megiddo Info






There are still things I am getting used to: Arabic coffee - a little shot of strong expresso, no sugar, no milk, offered as a gesture of friendship. The price of things - I had thought things would be a little less expensive here, but no, a litre of gasoline is about $2.25. A regular size cup of Americano coffee is about 4.25. 200 grams of cheddar is about $7. Bus transportation, which we use frequently to get places, is very inexpensive compared to Canada. Israeli drains - they are described as ancient, so everyone places used toilet tissues in the waste bin, so as to not plug the system. 

Descending to Megiddo Spring






Last week Margaret & I were treated to a visit to tel Megiddo by the head chaplain, Suheil Bathish. Over twenty civilizations were built over some 4000 years on this site, and archeological excavations add creedance to the Biblical narrative of Solomon's stables, King Ahab, and Jeroboam II. The view of the Jezreel Valley is fantastic, and images of Armageddon play on the mind. The engineering skills of these ancient peoples were incredible.


We are looking forward to going to Jerusalem this coming weekend.  This has been arranged by Serve Nazareth. The Nazareth Hospital CEO. Joseph Main, will be leading this reflective time, with some 55 people in attendance.  There will be some free time to visits some sites.  

No comments:

Post a Comment